Saint Lawrence Band Club, Vittoriosa
In 1883, two musical societies with a number of musicians who were part of a previous band which was disbanded for various reasons, joined forces with the aim of forming a new band club as was fit for this city, whose citizens love for music went back hundreds of years. Naturally, after the merger of these two societies, a new band club was formed and named ‘L’Unione’. This name was appropriate since to the contrary of other clubs, which were formed due to disagreements, this Vittoriosa Band Club was formed through unity.
During these times the club went through both good and less good times. It reached its peak between 1910 and 1927, in times when the band club was under the baton of band Conductor Giovanni Giumarra and Carl Maria Artz, when the band club was sought after for concerts and services to the extent that it performed 57 programmes in 1926.
After the war thanks to the work of Club Secretary Benny Dalmas and Musical Director Paċifiku Scicluna and a number of musicians who stayed active till the end, the band club through its musicians and members resumed its work in 1943 when the band club took part in the feast of St Lawrence of that year. From that period onwards, under the wise leadership of Dr. Giovanni Calleja, Dr. Paul Mallia u the current president Lawrence V. Farrugia, the band club continued working on the structure of the Palazzo, and the musicians under the leadership of Band Director Hector Dalli and Pawlu Schembri. In 1978 in direct response to the love the residents of Vittoriosa have for St Lawrence, the name of the band club was changed from ‘HRH Duke of Edinburgh’ to ‘St Lawrence Band Club, Vittoriosa’.
St Lawrence Band Club Vittoriosa, remained active over the years leading to the present day, where it performs over twenty services, programmes and various musical services.
On the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the foundation of the band club and 1750th anniversary of the martyrdom of Vittoriosa’s patron saint, Saint Lawrence, an artistic band stand was inaugurated, with the design of Salvu Bugeja, a renomated artist. This project continued to strengthen the bond of this band with its members and Vittoriosa. The artistic band stand is one of the largest with a facade of 37 feet, where there is more than enough space for the musicians, a choir and singers.
Although the feast celebrations on the 125th anniversary was a huge success, the committee’s work has not stopped, but it keeps eagerly working to continue elevating the name and reputation of the club to a top spot in our country.